“Symposium on Convergence of Private International Law in IPR and Cyber Law” on 1st April, 2018 @ GNLU
GNLU Centre for Private International Law (GCPrIL) in collaboration with GNLU-Microsoft Chair on IPR Laws and Policy & GNLU-GUJCOST Research Centre for Excellence in IPR Laws, Policy and Practises is organizing a “Symposium on Convergence of Private International Law in IPR and Cyber Law” on 1st April, 2018.
Aim of the Course:
In the Globalized world inter connectivity through technology is continuing to reach new heights along with the laws governing this. Cyberspace is an addition to the common heritage of humankind. Free flowing of data has many issues when it comes to the application of laws, rules and regulations with the cross border elements of jurisdiction, enforcement and freedom of operation. Apart from conventional cross-border issues, cyberspace has created new Private International Law issues in relation with jurisdiction, enforcement and freedom of operation. Similarly, with evolution of the IP Regime the Cross-border IP disputes have also evolved with more complexities. The relationship between Intellectual Property and Private International Law is a fascinating and multifaceted one. Cyberspace, IPR and Private International Law are inherently international, but it is the exponential increase in conflicts involving trans-border elements, in a world characterized by global trade and border less communication structures, that has, in modern times drawn the disciplines of Cyber Laws and IPR close to the Private International Law. The objective of this symposium is to focus on Indian laws with appraisal of legal developments in corresponding jurisdictions for Private International Law in Cyberspace and Private International Law in IP Regime.
- Mr. Pravin Anand
Pravin Anand, managing partner of the Anand and Anand (full-service IP law firm), completed his law studies in New Delhi in 1979 and since then has been practicing as an Intellectual Property Lawyer. He has been a counsel in several landmark IP cases involving the first Anton Piller Order (HMV cases); the first Mareva Injunction Order (Philips case); the first Norwich Pharmacal Order (Hollywood Cigarettes case); Moral rights of Artists (Amarnath Sehgal case); Recognition for Pro-Bono work for rural innovators at the grass root level’ (National Innovation Foundation Award – Govt. of India); First order under the Hague Convention (Astra Zeneca case) and several significant cases for pharma clients such as Novartis, Pfizer and Roche. He was the Past President of FICPI India, AIPPI Indian National Group, APPA India and Asia Euro Forum.
He has spoken extensively as a thought leader at various forums including WIPO, AIPPI, INTA, LES, IBA, LAW ASIA and the UN Conference on LDCs in the Digital World. He is a co-author of the two volumes of Halsbury’s Laws of India (Vol 20 (1) and (2) on Intellectual Property and serves on the editorial board of several international IP journals. Author of India chapter in Copyright Throughout the World- WEST (Thomson Reuters). He is also on the editorial board of many leading journals on IP jurisprudence, International legal magazines.
2. Mr. Pavan Duggal: He is
, one of the top four Cyber Lawyers around the world; is the President of Cyberlaws.Net. Apart from serving as a practicing Advocate, Supreme Court of India, he has been associated with UNCTAD, UNESCAP, AFACT Legal Working Group of the UN/CEFAT, WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Centre Panel of Neutrals, The Council of Europe on Cybercrime, Board of Experts of European Commission’s Dr. E-Commerce, e-ASEAN Task Force, Asian Development Bank in different capacities; which speaks volumes of his worldwide acceptance as an authority.
He is also the founder of the Cyber Law Association and the Founder- President, Cyber Law India. He has spoken at over 900 conferences, seminars and workshops lectured extensively in select law colleges. Mr. Duggal has authored more than 60 books and e-books where he covers various growing areas of concern and trends in the field of Cyber law and E-Commerce. He has been associated with the Ministry of Communication and Information Technology, Government of India on Cyber Law and Electronic Governance legal issues. He is a member of Advisory Committee on e-governance in Karnataka constituted by the Government of Karnataka. Pavan is a member of Information Forensic Working Group on E-Information Systems, Security and Audit Association.
- Prof. (Dr.) V. C. Vivekanandan: Prof. Vivekanandan, Dean, School of Law, Bennett University, received his PhD from National Law School of India Bangalore in the field of IPR and holds a M.L. Degree in Corporate Law & Securities from Nagarjuna University and B.L. degree from Bangalore University. He worked as faculty with National Law School of India, Bangalore between 1990-92 and 1998-2001 prior to joining NALSAR University of Law. He specializes in IPR, Cyber Laws and Business Laws and is the Ministry of Human Resources Development (MHRD) IP Chair Professor. He also coordinates the NALSAR Proximate Education offering P.G.Diploma in Patents Law, Cyber Laws, Media Laws and International Humanitarian Laws. He is an Adjunct Visiting Professor with the Business School of University of Buffalo, New York since 2007 and is currently a research fellow with the law school at Maastricht University, Netherlands under the ICCSR NWO exchange scholar of 2010. He is also an elected member of the Asia Pacific Region of ALAC to ICANN (Internet Corporation of Assigned Names and Numbers). He also serves as an advisory committee member of the Indian Patent office, He has several publication to his credit and the latest one being the Public Dichotomy of IP-Recommendation for the WIPO Development Agenda, Wilfred University Press, 75 University Avenue West, ON, Canada, N2L 3C5, 2009.
Dr. Karnika Seth: Dr. Karnika Seth is an Internationally renowned cyber law expert & is the Founding Partner at Seth Associates. Dr. Seth is also the Chairperson of Lex Cyberia at Seth Associates, the World’s first integrated cyberlaws research, forensics and legal consulting centre. Dr. Seth has been consistently ranked by global business community as topnotch cyberlawyer, an IT Expert & a prolific author, policymaker & educator. Her contribution to growth & development of cyberlaws internationally and in India is widely acknowledged in the corporate world and by International organisations. She has been empanelled as a member of the Working Group of International Corporation for Assigned Names &Numbers (ICANN) formed to design the Policy framework impacting global domain registration services. She is also the India representative at the Working Group Consultations and ICANN discussion forums. She is part of expert panel of UNICEF working on children safety in the online world and actively associates with International Centre for Missing and Exploited Children (ICMEC) in its cyberawareness activities in India. She is also associated with the International Telecommunication Union’s initiatives and is a member of the global cybersecurity forum. Her expert views on cyber safety have been solicited by United Nations’s International organisations and also by the Parliament and the Ministry of Information Technology for strengthening the cyber laws in India.
Mr. Girma Wolde-Michael : Girma Wolde-Michael is the former Deputy Chief IP Counsel and International IP operations Head for Medtronic, one of the largest medical device companies in the world. Mr. Wolde-Michael has over several years of experience in IP practice with a major focus on medical devices and high technology. In prior years, he worked as equity partner and senior IP counsel at a law firm. Further, before his legal career, Mr. Wolde-Michael worked as a senior engineering manager, head of research and development (“R&D”), and business manager for new product development and market launch at various high technology companies in the U.S. Mr. Wolde-Michael holds six U.S patents. Currently, Mr. Wolde-Michael counsels startup businesses in the medical industry. Mr. WoldeMichael is also an executive chair of a Consortium which counsels clients on value-based healthcare tailored to meet emerging countries’ development strategies with a focus on compatible medical technology, equipment, medical expertise and infrastructure. Mr. Wolde-Michael holds a B.SC. degree in Engineering, graduate studies in microcircuits and semiconductors, B.A. in economics, MBA (Master in Business Administration). MIM (Master of International Management) and J.D. (Juris Doctor). He is a registered patent attorney licensed to practice law before the USPTO and several Jurisdictions in the United States.
- “Student Participants” ; Fees: 500/-
- “Academicians/Research Scholars” ; Fees: 1000/-
- “Industry Professionals/Consultants/Practitioners” ; Fees: 1200/-
How to Apply:
Follow this Link, CLICK HERE
Last Date of Applying:
March 27, 2018
For more details, feel free to contact:
- Soaham Bajpai (Convener), Assistant Professor
- , <[email protected]><8128650845>
- Pratikalpa Sharma, Teaching and Research Associate, <[email protected]> <7567950227>
- Hetvi Trivedi, Research Associate, GNLU-GUJCOST Centre of Excellence on IPR Laws, Policies and Practice< [email protected]><8128650886>
- Vaishali Singh, Research Associate, GNLU-Microsoft Chair on IPR Laws and Policy Research <[email protected] ><8128650838>