The NLIU-Trilegal Summit
CORPORATE AND COMMERCIAL LAWS 2018
Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh
24th and 25th August, 2018
The Centre for Business and Commercial Laws of National Law Institute University (NLIU) Bhopal, in collaboration with Trilegal, is organizing the annual NLIU-Trilegal Summit on Corporate and Commercial Laws on 24th and 25th of August, 2018.
The previous three editions focussing on mergers and acquisitions, in 2016, 2017 and 2018 were a resounding success, witnessing submissions and participation by law students from across the country. The topics discussed in the previous editions of the summit focussed on key issues in M&As such as M&A activity in pharmaceutical, real-estate, infrastructure and e-commerce sector etc.; to key issues in M&A transactions such as valuation mismatch, failed transactions and rise of corporate insolvency regime; and on contemporary issues such as leveraged buyouts, rupee-denominated bonds, rise of NPAs and asset reconstruction companies.
The present edition of the summit is an effort to continue the successful legacy of the past editions, in an expanded format covering all areas of corporate and commercial laws. The present edition aims to initiate a dialogue on the key issues arising in the corporate world and contribute to the growth of knowledge and research in the field of commercial laws, while increasing the awareness and aptitude of students in these fields.
Authors must be pursuing their LL.B. (Hons.) / LL.B. / LL.M. from any recognized university to be eligible to participate in the Summit.
We invite original submissions from authors in the form of an article or essay falling within the
broad contours of the theme of the summit – “corporate and commercial laws”. An indicative list of sub-themes is given below to aid the participants :-
1. Corporate Governance in India
2. Mergers & Acquisitions
– Inbound and outbound mergers
– Analysis of landmark mergers and forecasting trends for future M&A activity
– M&A activity in key sectors
3. Foreign Investment (Private Equity/Venture Capital and Debt Instruments)
– Emerging forms of investment such as REITs and InvITs
– Liberalisation of existing investment regime (such as single and multi-brand retail, changes to FPI regime)
– Analysis of statutory changes (e.g. new FEMA 20)
4. Rise of Non-Performing Assets in the economy
– Working of IBC and emerging trends
– Debt restructuring in India
– Introduction of P2P Lending in India
5. Securities Law
– Cross-Listing of Stock Exchanges
– Rise of IPOs in niche sectors such as insurance companies, banks
– Trend of failure of IPOs in Indian market
– Emerging trends in white collar crime (legal developments and recent examples in insider
– Regulatory overhaul of certain segments such as derivatives, FPIs
6. Competition Law
– Exemptions and Filing Norms for Mergers and Amalgamations
– Antitrust aspects in the acquisition of Financially distressed companies
– Competition Law in a Digitised Economy – Comparative analysis of Competition Law in India
and foreign jurisdictions
– Economic theories and evidence in Competition Law
7. Emerging contemporary legal issues related to –
– Technologies such as Blockchain, Cryptocurrencies and Initial Coin Offerings
– Data Privacy aspects of financial information
The above areas of law and sub-themes are indicative in nature. The participants are free to choose an inter-disciplinary topic involving one or more of the above areas of law or sub-themes, provided that it fits within the contours of the theme of the Summit.
With this edition, we are offering new and exciting awards to the winners! The prizes will be disclosed in the coming days, so keep an eye out and until then keep guessing!
Registration and Submission Deadline
All papers must be submitted on or before 10th July, 2018 (11:59 PM). E-mails for submission and any other clarifications should be sent to – firstname.lastname@example.org. The email must contain the following documents, in addition to the manuscript and personal details and affiliation of the author(s) –
– An originality statement, signed by the author(s), declaring that the manuscript is the original work of the author(s);
– A copyright statement, signed by the author(s), whereby the author(s) agrees that the copyright in the work shall vest with CBCL.
Authors whose papers are selected for presentation in the Summit shall be required to pay an amount of INR 1000 for single author entries and INR 1500 for co-authored entries. The Centre shall provide accommodation to all the participants.
- ARSHIA VERMA (CONVENOR, CBCL): +91-7049729766
- ROHAN KOHLI (CO-CONVENOR, CBCL): +91-9617950534
- SHOUNAK BANERJEE (SECRETARY, CBCL): +91-9911425727
The Brochure for the summit can be accessed here
For More details, Click here